American and Ukrainian military leaders are working on a new strategy to revive Kyiv’s fortunes and gain support for the country’s war against Russia. President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine is meeting with President Biden and Congress to discuss the way forward. The United States is increasing its military advice to Ukraine and hopes to develop a new strategy next month. The Americans favor a conservative approach focused on holding territory and building up supplies, while the Ukrainians want to go on the attack. Without a new strategy and additional funding, Ukraine could lose the war. The United States has given significant military and economic support to Ukraine, but some Republicans oppose further spending. The goal is to create a credible threat that could lead to negotiations with Russia. Ukrainian officials are also exploring strategies to keep Russia off balance and score symbolic victories. The stakes are high, and Ukrainian hospitals are already filled with injured soldiers. The 2023 counteroffensive failed to achieve its goals, but there are signs of compromise and potential for improvement next year.
- “Typhoon Attack: The Untold Story”
- COVID risk high, Congo flood displacements, Sri Lanka drug crackdown raise concerns
- “Former NZ PM Jacinda Ardern Ties the Knot”
- Taiwan Election: World-Watch as Polls Open!
- “Indulge in Love and Harmony: Top Romantic Wellness Retreats for Valentine’s Day”
- Gaza ceasefire crisis nears 100-day mark
- DeSantis’ U-turn: Governor criticizes conservative media
- US Launches New Strike Against Houthi Target in Yemen